Thursday, July 10, 2008

Martha Frenzy




You thought I would say “Martha Madness” but that would be a cheap alliteration. Rufus Wainwright’s little sister has long stolen my heart and these past 2 months have been a bit of a Martha Wainwright Pilgrimage for me. I saw her at the mod club in Toronto for the first time in June among middle aged gay couples who made up most of the audience. Then she gave a free concert at Harbour Front on Canada day where she informed everyone of just having gotten her period backstage and how it’s appropriate in terms of matching the colors of the festivities. She is hilariously endearing and her music is evocative of the 90s - definitely among the only new artists of the 21st century that is genuinely impressive and unique. Martha is irrefutably the young female Leonard Cohen of our generation.



This is Martha Wainwright performing her new single You Cheated Me from her latest album I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too at the mod club back in June

No comments: