Saturday, August 23, 2008

We could be heroes!


photo by Bruna Kazinoti

I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can beat them, just for one day
And you, you can be mean
And I, I'll drink all the time
'Cause we're lovers, and that is a fact
Yes we're lovers, and that is that
----
I hadn't realized just how many artists have actually covered Bowie's1977 hit "heroes''. I'm not surprised that it's one of the most covered rock songs of the latter half of the century; it's so BIG, it always finds a way to get stuck in your head and I never get tired of hearing it. Even Nico and Phillip Glass did it.
Here are the versions from my favourite artists:
------
The Wallflowers (1998, Godzilla soundtrack)
Blondie (recorded live 1980)
Oasis (1997 B-side)
King Crimson (2000, live recording)
Original by David Bowie (Co-written by Brian Eno)

No comments: